Thursday, January 28, 2010

Zooey & Adam Private Screening.

I was invited this past Saturday to attend the private screening of Sean Garrity's new film Zooey & Adam. I'll be posting my review of it after it's released in the Projector.

The film was screened at University of Winnipeg's Eckhardt Gramité Hall. Myself and roughly 50 others gathered into the theater and at just past 7:30 Sean took stage and introduced the film. The theater was mostly filled with people from the Garrity camp. The actors who were in the movie, people who had helped him along the way and just close friends and family. It was a great opportunity for me to get acquainted with people who are in the industry I've dreamed about being in since I was a little kid.

Sean was very humble when thanking everyone who helped and supported him while making the film and he seemed very genuine about how important they were in the films completion and success.

After that he screened the movie for us. All of us in CreComm have been talking about it since Sean came to the school and screened the trailer for us. I know a few of us don't want to go because they feel like it might be too intense and real for them and after having seen the movie I can say that, if you feel that way, don't go. The movie is great and the subject matter is very heavy, but for clarification let me just say this. The movie is NOT about rape, it's about the struggles that happen afterward with raising a child that may or may not be yours. To be fair though the rape scene is terrifying.After the screening we all got up and left the theater and went outside to partake in some great food and drinks that we all provided FREE OF CHARGE. (Man I LOVE events like this!!) I got another chance to speak with Sean and told him what I thought of his movie, we chatted for a bit but there were so many people who wanted to talk with him that night so I made sure to not monopolize his time. It would have been easy though, Sean is living my dream.

I also got a chance to talk with Tom Kennan (Adam) we spoke briefly about what it was like to film the movie, and how emotionally draining it was. They were all great people and it was a great event.

Lastly I'd really like to thank Anne Dawson, the ex-CreComm who put the whole event together. She gave me the press kit and a screener of the movie which was really awesome. She went above and beyond the call of duty and I thank her.

If you can get out to see it, I highly recommend going. Do it quickly too because the movie is only in limited release and end Feb 4.

1 comment:

  1. I like the shot of Daria Puttaert pumping the beer out of the keg. It's a better final memory of her other than the victim she played in the movie.

    ReplyDelete