Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Making of Torches of Freedom

So since Jeremy, Jordan and myself did our presentation in Tuesday's PR class a lot of people have been coming up to use and asking, how long it took, how did we put it together and so forth.

I figured I should probably blog the events and answer the questions people have been asking.

So we got our assignment in last Thursday's PR class and were given the hour to think about how to present. We didn't want to do a power point thing because we didn't really know how to use the program so we immediately defaulted to doing a skit. That in turn led to us asking Melanie if we could do a video instead which she said was fine.

After brainstorming we decided that it would be a better idea for a slideshow/video type of thing after remembering how funny those old skits on Conan O'Brien where he tells a story with pictures he took that go over the nights events. They were hilarious but unfortunately I can't find a video of it.

So Jordan and I met up at J Jack's house on Sunday and we started got out our story boards and started setting up all the Edward Bernays and George Hill scenes, we used his dinning room


We also had to "carefully" draw on Bernays mustache with a smelly marker.









After getting the scene set up we took pictures of each other with different facial expressions and different physical expressions. We had Jordan dress up as Phillip Vogelman and hold Jeremy's dog "chicken". Oh and the "phone" is actually just a lamp and it's glass shade that was on the coffee table.




After all of the guy scenes were finished we then looted Jeremy's moms closet for all her old dresses, Jordan got the nicest one but let's not get into that.

The dress I wore went on quite easily, unfortunately It was a pain to get off, I was about to ask Jeremy to cut me out of it and I actually think I ripped it a little getting it off.

Here are some pictures that really should never see the light of day.






So after that we went down to the edit suites on Monday after school and recorded the voice over you heard. Everyone did their best 30's mobster impersonation and we decided that mine was the best one. My throat was really sore after all that recording, we spent roughly 3 hours in that edit suite writing and laying down tracks.

Now the song Jeremy sang was actually recorded the day before and we were going to make a video montage of Bernays with the song playing in the background, unfortunately I don't know how to use Pro Tools to save my life and lost that file along with some others. Jeremy sang it live instead which I think was a better choice, but we're going to record the song soon just because it was awesome.

We have plans to possibly start writing an entire series on Bernays and profile his life, depending on how much spare time we have.

Anyway I think the last thing I should mention is the picture of Bernays is ACTUALLY him, yes he does look a lot like Jeremy but that was just pure luck on our part. After the mustache and the tie Jeremy looked so similar some people have asked me if I photoshopped one of the pictures. I didn't that's just how lucky we got.



Well that's it, it was a fun project and I hope we got a good mark on it. We probably put too much effort into it but I think it was worth it to make people laugh.

Follow me on Twitter

- JW

9 comments:

  1. Very worth it-- the world thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I was the only one thinking "CCMA material" after I saw your montage. I think you guys should go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Submit 'Torches of Freedom' for some kind of award. A brilliant effort! I laughed so hard I was wiping my eyes at the end. It's a great reminder of what CreComm's are capable of.
    I'd tip my hat to all three of you...if I wore one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback.

    I have heard a couple of people saying we should try and submit it for an award.

    I would love to do that but I have no idea where to begin.

    Anyone know where to start?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The CCMA montage award is usually for a 3 - 5 minute music video you have to put together in 2nd semester TV class.

    Although this video was fucking great. Everyone always sticks to Powerpointless. Kudos!

    - Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job. I love that you spent a weekend together dressed in drag. The results were totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As great as the videos were, Jeremy's song was inspired, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeremy's song was hilarious.

    We had actually recorded a few different versions of the song the night before and we were going to add it to a picture montage of Bernays at the end of the videos, however I lost the file for the song. Jeremy stepped up and delivered it live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes in a mans life he just has to step up and sing a cappella for his group, the audience, and ultimately for himself.

    ReplyDelete