Thursday, October 1, 2009

When I grow up I want to be............A 12 year old Tony Royster Jr.

I started playing drums when I was 13.
I had no intention or even desire to play, the reason I got into it was my High School Concert Band at GP.
I had played the Clarinet until midway through Grade 8 and after getting braces I couldn't play it anymore.
I still wanted to be in band because I loved the class so the teacher stuck me in the Percussion section.
That move has had a big change on my life.
For my 14th birthday my Dad bought my my first drum kit, which is the one I still play on to this day.
It was(is) a Pearl Export 5 piece drum kit with flecked metallic grey wrappings.
It was literally the first time I fell in love.

I have since bought better hardware and drums skins, different pedal, beaters, cymbal stand and even some high end cymbals
(I have a big crush on my 14" Zildjian A Custom
That cymbal cost me $300!

In short I love playing drums, it's really the biggest stress reliever I can think of. Just sitting behind a big shiny drum kit and beating the hell out stuff that makes noise? Yeah awesome!
When I first got into drums my influences we Neal Peart from RUSH (Obviously) because of how amazing he is, that man can play anything. Then I came upon this video of 12 year old Tony Royster Junior who is now 25 playing one of the most amazing drum solo's I've ever seen, and I'm not even taking into account that he is 12!


Phenomenal!
One day I hope to play as good as he can.

Just one final video because this is my favourite drum battle of all time.
It's Buddy Rich, one of greatest drummers whoever lived and Animal from The Muppets.
The puppeteer on Animal is very impressive.


Follow me on Twitter

JW

No comments:

Post a Comment