Monday, November 2, 2009

Comic Con 09!


Wow so this was literally one of the busiest weekends I've had in a long time.
First off with Comic Con being in Winnipeg it brings with it tons of great talent and interesting people. This years marquee name being Adam West.

However the event also brought some big names in the Comic Book industry that I was not expecting. The biggest being Tommy Castillo. On Wednesday his plane landed in Winnipeg and he rushed over to the Park Theater and hosted a screening of the original Night of the Living Dead(1968). Tommy had worked with George Romero on a comic book called Toe Tags, so Tommy had a bunch of great stories from the man who literally pioneered his own genre of horror.


Friday night was without a doubt HEAT!

My girlfriend and I went to the premier of a horror-documentary called Cropsey. It was shown in a warehouse on the 5th floor in the exchange district. As we were walking down the street towards the building there was a creepy old guy standing outside who looked at me and asked, “you here to see a movie?” I thought briefly about whether or not to call the police but then decided to go inside. We took a disgustingly small and frightening elevator ride up the 5th floor, where I expected to see some level of decorum. I was surprised to see that the place looked very refined for your average crack den. We sat down and watched the movie, which was actually pretty wicked. I highly recommend picking it up if you can.



Saturday was the first real day for the Con(Khaaaaaaaaaaan!) My girlfriend and I got there around 2ish that afternoon, and of course the first person I run into. Giacomin. Who apparently later got into a heated conversation with the ex pro wrestler Virgil. Heat!


On Saturday I picked up some nerd items, the first being a film cell from The Matrix Revolutions, the scene just as Smith and Neo punch each other in the face. Very cool.


The second being an autographed picture of Sean Connery and a film cell from Goldfinger, which is amazing!


That night we went to see Mode 7 play at the Park Theater. For those who don’t know, Mode 7 is a great video game cover band. They play music from all the classic video games, and they really brought the house down Saturday night, play some new tunes and finishing it off with Ghostbusters, which was actually very well done.


I had planned to spend at least $60 on Sunday at the Con(Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!) but every time I would go around looking at stuff I would just put it back down. I bought a Lime Lemonade for 3.75 which was delicious.


Comic Con this year was a great time, there was more to do and to buy and I think just put together much better. My only complaint was the Adam West autographs were too expensive. $40, yeah no thanks.


9 comments:

  1. I'm so sad I couldn't make it to Cropsey. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did miss out on a pretty good movie.
    However you can buy the DVD from the site I hyperlinked to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Batmobile is awesome! I would love to have my picture taken in the driver's seat, but I suppose I'd be thrown out on my #/%! if I came within five feet of it. I'll stick to the toy car I have for memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they were offering pictures with the Batmobile for a certain price.

    I know that they were offering pictures with the Ecto-1 (Ghostbusters car) as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old wrestlers are bitter and sour individuals. Steroids, cocaine, and bad acting is directly correlated to bad interviews and death threats. Now i know how Geraldo Rivera feels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What specific video-game themes did Mode 7 play? Now that I know what kind of tunes the play, I feel compelled to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That night they played.
    -The intro from Metroid
    -Zelda(Medley)
    -Mario(Medley)
    -Duke Nukem
    -Ghostbusters
    -Mega Man

    They play others songs too.
    -Double Dragon
    -Halo
    -Final Fantasy

    Here is a link to a video I shot and edited of them performing at Video Games Live this summer.
    http://www.youtube.com/thebonusstage09#p/u/1/mAH-o_UMhu8

    ReplyDelete