Thursday, November 19, 2009

Remembrance Day is never over.

Ok so last week all us CreComms did our Remembrance Day assignments. I've been struggling with Journalism for quite some time now and really needed to do well on this one. I worked very hard (as I'm sure everyone did) and came out with an A and a B which I was very happy about, and still am.
But because I'm actually quite proud of myself I figured I'd let everyone else read what got me the A.

Note: Sandy Klowak(Journalism Hero) helped me edit this story, she probably saved me from getting a C. Huge props!

On the day that we remember our fallen soldiers with a moment of silence, the ceremony at the Manitoba legislature honors them with a 21 gun salute.
On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month we stand to remember the sacrifice that those brave men made serving their country.
Three C3 Howitzers stand in wait, a single 105 mm shell is loaded into each one. The command to fire is given and by the pull of a “fire rope”, the name given to the rope that triggers the charge, the blank round is fired producing a concussive bang and a large amount of foul smelling smoke from the barrel, that for a moment blotted out the sun.
The powerful feeling you get from being there and feeling the shock wave run right through you, makes you feel as if you were in the trenches about to rush Vimy Ridge, or on the boat about to storm Juno beach. Warrant Officer Robin Everette, the man responsible for putting this year’s ceremony together, explains why Remembrance Day is so important to him, “it’s important to come down and remember everybody before us that made a sacrifice, and to also remember those making sacrifices today.”
Many people, from all different walks of life, came down Wednesday to pay their respects to those lost, and to those still fighting, “todays turnout was fantastic, the good weather certainly helped. Roughly 300 people came out today, I even spoke with a few families who are starting to make this a tradition and I think it’s great,” explains Everette.
With every passing year more and more of our Veterans are passing on, leaving stories untold. As Officer Everette said, “they gave us their tomorrows, for our today’s.”

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I remember the smell of sulphur (I think that's the foul odour you refer to) when I attended the Remembrance Day ceremonies at the Leg. about three years ago. A very honourable, powerful service to attend on November 11th.

    ReplyDelete