Thursday, September 10, 2009

Drum Covers Aplenty

Mike is now back at Fanshaw in London and Drumfest 09 is finally done.
Our kits were broken down and mine shuttled home in my car.
I had been thinking of selling it for the longest time, I had taken pictures, got it appraised and was almost ready to put the ad up, but then as Mike, Jackson and I played our few final songs I remembered how much fun it was to play drums. Right then and there I said, screw it, I'm not selling this kit even if I can't play it until I get my own place.

After getting home and unpacking my car, taking everything downstairs into my room and only then realizing how much space I actually had. After planning carefully about how to feng shui my drums around, and after moving some stuff around in my room I found a setup I like.



It's a 4 piece but it's the only way I could get that huge 20' ride cymbal in there. I have plans to buy a rack kit and hang my smallest tom off of the crash cymbal stand and then put my 8' tom in it's place.

It took a while to get used to, having to do fills without a middle tom and have a ride cymbal instead was very different. Especially the big ammount of space my hands have to move to get from my high tom to my low tom, but I'm getting the hang of it.

So these past few weeks I've been playing like crazy, practicing a bunch of songs and starting to play some I've never tried before. I've also started filming covers again and I figured I'd post some here.

This is the first video I recorded since putting my drums back together, it's a cover of Toxicity by System of a Down. Pretty easy song for the most part, made a little more complicated with less toms to work with but I really like how it came together.




I'll be posting more as they come, I've 2 videos in waiting right now so in the next few updates I'll post them. I figure I should get in as much drumming as possible before school starts to really kick into high gear.

Speaking of which school is awesome, I clearly made the right choice by coming to CreCom, I'm finally in a class where everyone is smart, there isn't one dumb person in my class and that's great. Plus there is always great discussions going on and everyone is contributing and it makes coming to school very exciting. Right now the only class I'm not enjoying is "The Writers Craft" because it makes me feel retarded. It's going to be a struggle to maintain a good grade in that class, but hopefully I'll get it. If not there are tons of people in the class who are fantastic at it and I'm sure they'll lend a hand.

That's all for now.

Follow me on Twitter

-JW

9 comments:

  1. Great blog and drum set, Jeff.

    Kent Gulbrantson and I are drummers too: we'll have to do the Buddy Rich/Gene Krupa drum battle one of these days. Ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha ok but let me practice for 10 or 15 more years first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was a pretty easy song?
    just so you know I couldn't do that if I sat in a room practicing for 7 years straight.
    I thought it was pretty awesome.
    AND I totally have to agree with you about school! it's so nice being with people who have interesting things to say and points of view!..and the vocabulary to say it as well haha..
    anyways! I'm a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha it's really not as hard as it looks.

    Yeah I'm really glad to finally be in a class where there isn't any dumb people that have me saying "How the hell did you get into this class?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog man! Only a drummer can really appreciate the great attention that goes into kit setup. Keep up the beats

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good drummer is always the hardest member of a band to find, I think. I can't keep time to save my life, that this is a very handsome looking kit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha thank you, I take great pride in my kit

    ReplyDelete